The "Gay Jane" was originally fitted with a pair of Winton gas engines. Within a few years, Herbert Warden refitted her with Winton diesels, model 179-6, producing 150 horsepower each at 850 RPM's. Below is a featured page from a Winton engine installation manual where the "Gay Jane" is running strong under the ownership of Herbert W. Warden Sr. This photo was introduced by Bernie Golias, a collector of Alexander Winton history. In 1950, the original engines were removed and reassembled in the yard for continued use. A pair of Gray Marine 671 naturally aspirated engines were installed at that time, which are in the boat this day. To make up the difference in engine length, a 2 foot stub shaft and damper were installed between the new transmissions and the old coupling.
Photo offered by Bernie Golias, Collector of Alexander Winton history
Return to History page Return to Homepage Link to Winton History